Definition Of Fissure In Ano
An anal fissure is synonymous with fissure in ano. It is an elongated ulcer in the long axis of the lower anal canal. It is one of the most painful conditions resulting in a lot of discomfort and embarrassment to the patient.
Symptoms Of Fissure
This condition is more common in women and generally occurs during the meridian of life.
Causes Of Fissure In Ano
- Chronic constipation
- Incorrectly performed haemorrhoids
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- sexually transmitted disease
Types Of Fissure In Ano
- Acute: Short history; inflammatory; induration is less;accompanying spasm of internal sphincter.
- Chronic:Long history;associated with edematous skin; inflamed and indurated margins;may be associated with spasm of internal sphincter.
Surgery Of Fissure In Ano
Lateral Anal Sphincterotomy:
This can be done under local anesthesia. But, General Anesthesia is preferred. The internal anal sphincter is divided from the tissue itself ñ usually either in the eight oíclock or the left lateral position. The procedure can be done by the open or closed method. The healing is usually complete within three weeks.
Dorsal Fissurectomy and Sphincterotomy:
In this operation, transverse fibers of the internal sphincter are divided in the floor of the fissure. At the same time, the sentinel pile is excised. Here also treatment is completed in three weeks time.